Some Friendly Advice
The Moscow Rules
The Moscow Rules are rules-of-thumb said to have been developed during the Cold War to be used by spies and others working in Moscow; the city developed a reputation as being a particularly harsh locale for clandestine operatives.
In the International Spy Museum in Washington, D.C., the Moscow Rules are given as:
- Assume nothing.
- Never go against your gut.
- Everyone is potentially under opposition control.
- Don’t look back; you are never completely alone.
- Go with the flow, blend in.
- Vary your pattern and stay within your cover.
- Lull them into a sense of complacency.
- Don’t harass the opposition.
- Pick the time and place for action.
- Keep your options open.
The Bucharest Rules
Of course, for someone as extremely talented and qualified as the PCs, some of the Moscow rules seem a bit staid. Some agents rise above, for them its important to remember the Bucharest Rules.
- You can win
- Look to your Drive
- Use your immense talents
- When stuck, get more intel
- Follow the money
- HUMINT is key
- Build your own network
- Keep moving forward
- Leave room to maneuver
- Remember, you’re the badass here
- Alway know where the exit is